Tuesday, January 03, 2012

Graveyards in the Old Country

 Tombstone Tuesday: Graveyards in Scotland

The celebration of the New Year was more important to my ancestors (and probably yours) so I guess it is natural that I think about how my Scottish, English and French ancestors welcomed the New Year. Because of another researcher on Ancestry.com, I have some more records that are convincing me that I am "on the right track with the lineage of my ancestor, Jane Hannah.

I felt unsure what two other researchers discovered about this family many years ago. I had my reasons. Having reasons (using Scottish records at Scotlands People and census records at Ancestry.com)  has helped me find the right parents for Jane. She was the first wife of my monument maker, John Broadfoot.

It is lovely that many Web site are adding photos of the graveyards in the "old countries". We here in America don't appreciate our oldest graveyards.

Here is an example in photos, for Tombstone Tuesday, of a place that I might have ancestors buried. I know there is a castle nearby. My ancestors, in this line, were farmers. They didn't live in the castle.

Caerlaverock Parish Church & Graveyard


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Scottish headstones can provide a surprising amount of genealogical data - and many have been surveyed and recorded. Lovely photos of Caerlaverock :-)