Monday, March 17, 2014

Prize Gravestone

Copper Casting by midgefrazel
Copper Casting, a photo by midgefrazel on Flickr.

Born in Ireland to English Parents

Anne Borodell Denison's actual birth date will always be in question. All the sources I have say her birth date is based on her gravestone. Shown here is a copper plating of her slate gravestone, which hangs in The Denison Homestead in Mystic, CT. I had to stand on a chair to take this photograph.

After two days of looking at the sources I have, it might be that Ann was born on 17 March, according to her father's will, reprinted in the current Denison Genealogy. 

Ann, wife of Capt. George Denison, died in 1712 at the age of 97, which makes her born in the year 1615. She was his second wife and they married in England in 1645. Her father's will lists his children (even an unborn one) and it states that she will inherit on 17 March 1681 at the age of "one and twenty". I don't think this is right but it is the only place where I can find a day and month. More research needs to be done.

Ann's grave was originally at the Oliver Denison cemetery #48 and all the graves were taken up and carried to other cemeteries. Ann's gravestone is now in the Elm Grove Cemetery in Mystic, New London, CT. It is a mystery as to when it was moved but the grave is recorded in the Hale Cemetery Collection of the 1930s. (p. 255 Vol 47, cemetery #20) as being in Elm Grove Cemetery.

Over 500 people have attached the photo I took of her gravestone to their trees at Ancestry.com. As she is my 8th great grandparent that's some genealogy math.

I have not tracked all my immigrant ancestors as yet (because they so hard to prove) but my DNA at Ancestry.com says I am 43% Ireland (Ireland, Wales, Scotland, France and England) and 9% Great Britain. Perhaps a Happy St. Patrick's Day is in order!

No comments: