An Introduction to Early American Gravestones (in PDF) from the Farber Gravestone Collection Web Site
Finding the Final Resting Place
- Sharon DeBartolo Carmack's article based on a section of her book [with reference to an out-of-print book titled, Silent Cities: The Evolution of the American Cemetery by Jackson and Vergara]. If you are looking for basic information about types of cemeteries (rural, churchyard, garden)
- Bamburg, Cherry Fletcher's Article on the Rhode Island Historic Cemeteries database.
- Video presentation about conservation efforts in cemeteries by the National Center for Preservation Technology and Training.
Eriquez, Christine. Our History in Stone: The New England Cemetery Dictionary. 2009. Sinematrix.
AGS Field Guides
Keister, Douglas. Stories in Stone: A Field Guide to Cemetery Symbolism and Iconography. Salt Lake City: Gibbs Smith, 2004. [$16.49 Amazon]
Books from Tombstone Tales [Family Tree Magazine Article (July 2010) listed on Cemetery Sleuthing]
- The American Resting Place: Four Hundred Years of History Through Our Cemeteries and Burial Grounds by Marilyn Yalom (Houghton Mifflin) available as an ebook
- Cemeteries of the U.S.: A Guide to Contact Information for U.S. Cemeteries and Their Records by Deborah M. Burek (Gale Group)
- Corpses, Coffins, and Crypts: A History of Burial by Penny Colman (Henry Holt and Co.)
- Rest in Peace: A History of American Cemeteries by Meg Greene (21st Century Books)
- Stories in Stone: A Field Guide to Cemetery Symbolism and Iconography by Douglas Keister (Gibbs Smith)
- Your Guide to Cemetery Research by Sharon DeBartolo Carmack (Betterway Books)
Last updated: 2 Oct 2012.