Saturday, August 09, 2008

Join the Team!


Joining Up!
Originally uploaded by midgefrazel
Category “Reach Out & Perform Genealogical Acts of Kindness”
Event F: Bronze Medal: Join the Team

For this event, I am required to join a genealogical, historical, heritage or lineage society. As I belong to other organizations like this, I checked my list and found that I do not belong to the Gallup Family Association. [Yes, this is the Gallup poll, Gallup, New Mexico…]

Not knowing how long it might take to get back to me, I went to their new Web page and filled out the form for information. I created a screenshot of part of that page and kept it in my folder for the 2008 Genea-Bloggers Summer Games on my desktop.

I promptly received a reply from the membership chairperson with instructions on where to send my membership fee. I created a screenshot (see photo) of that and put both into a Word document to print out for my files for that lineage society. Using my genealogy software, I printed an outline descendant chart of my descendency from that ancestor even though it was not required. I printed out a photo of myself with the ancestor’s gravestone.

This is a photo of the process of the items I included for membership. I wrote the check and put everything together and put it out to be mailed. I emailed the membership chairperson saying “The check is in the mail!” I have joined the team.

I belong to the DAR, the Mayflower Society, two local genealogical (Plymouth County, South Shore) societies, one historical society (North Stonington, Connecticut) and have life memberships in three other lineage societies (The Denison Society, The Thomas Stanton Society and the Avery Memorial Association). I am a member of the National Genealogical Society and the Association of Professional Genealogists.
It is an event in itself to keep them all straight!

2008 Genea-Bloggers Games

No comments: