Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Deplorable Calamity!

Blog Post 5 of the LADD-WILLIAMS family

Newspapers from all over New England [NEHGS Historical Newspapers] carried stories of the collision of the Steamboat Empire with the schooner Noah Brown with headlines like:

Steamboat Disaster on the Hudson [The Farmer's Cabinet, Amherst NH, 24 May 1849]
Deplorable Calamity. [The Pittsfield Sun, Pittsfield, MA 24 May 1849 from the Albany Argus, May 19th]
Shocking Steamboat Disaster! Twenty or Thirty Lives Lost! [Semi-Weekly Eagle, 21 May 1849, Brattleboro, VT
The Steamer Empire- Another Body Found. [The Hudson River Chronicle, 19 May 1849]

I have searched the Web and not found a drawing of the Steamship Empire. I have searched the archives of the New York Times and have not found the headline of this horrible disaster. I did find a reference to it at a later day. If anyone can help me then, please let me know.

I will blog about what I found from these newspapers next...

No comments: