Thursday, March 17, 2011

Only One Irish Ancestor

Copy of the Miniature by midgefrazel
Copy of the Miniature a photo by midgefrazel on Flickr.

My only Irish ancestor was Ann Borodell, born to English parents in Cork, Ireland. This photo is a photograph of a COPY of an original portrait of of this person. But, despite mention in several books and in a newspaper article by historian Grace Denison Wheeler (I have a copy), this miniature is not an actual portrait because it is NOT old enough. The Denison Homestead had it authenticated and it was deemed not ancient enough to be her. But, we like to think she looked like this. That's OK with me.

Legends have a way of being repeated and certainly it would have been "the luck of the Irish" to have a portrait (even painted from memory or description) of a lady who died in 1712.

1 comment:

Carmen Johnson said...

Midge...I can only verify one Irish Ancestor...John Lyons b. abt 1790 in Ireland - not sure when he immigrated, but he married Mary French. His son, John Nathan Lyons m. Mary Elizabeth Reed and their daughter, Nancy Ann Marie Lyons was my great great grandmother. I am pretty sure my Bailey's come from Ireland as well...but since I can't locate the family much past 1860 - then I am out of luck verifying that!