Saturday, April 16, 2011

Reaching Out

Coast to Coast by midgefrazel
Coast to Coast, a photo by midgefrazel on Flickr.
It was a treasured moment. Genealogists meet. What could be better? Well, it gets better. (Randy Seaver! This is a Genea-gasm!)

On March 31, 2009, Denise Levenick and I used Google Maps to find a cemetery in Johnston, RI where some of her ancestors are resting. We found that we could manipulate our mouses and point at the exact spot on the street where the cemetery is located. After meeting and hugging Denise when she came East to NERGC this week, I grit my teeth and decided that with the help of the Johnston Historical Society, we could find the gravestones in this cemetery. I planned to go there and take the photos once I was sure they were there. Many RI cemeteries are overgrown and neglected.

The folks at the Johnston Historical Society did a wonderful thing. They went to the cemetery and took photos. I am so excited. I can't wait to blog about them and yes, we were in the right spot that day we used Google Maps. The monument we could see is a cast zinc gravestone. I don't think that is her ancestor but the shiny nature of this type of gravestone gives a glow unlike any other, guiding all of us to the right spot.

Found are Noah Mathewson, her Revolutionary War ancestor and his wife. Wait until you see them!

1 comment:

Family Curator said...

Midge, you are truly a Wonder. Just think of all the fun we could have if we were both on the same coast. I'm now home and jet lagged, butcan't wait to see the photos and your posts ...