Wednesday, August 17, 2011

5th Generation Book

5th Generation Book by midgefrazel
5th Generation Book, a photo by midgefrazel on Flickr.
As I work on my husband's line to his as-yet-proved Mayflower passengers, I recall the days that I worked on my own line to George Soule. [in 2006] At that time, I had already proved my lines to John Alden and John Howland. I learned many important genealogical skills while doing that. Each one has been a different experience both great and annoying.

I purchased the incorrect "pink" book for my 5th generation ancestor in my line to George Soule. That volume would have included information about my ancestor, Matthew Stillman Barber of Westerly, RI.

So you can imagine my annoyance with myself that I bought the wrong volume. I stuck it in my bookcase and went on with my life fulling intending to give it to someone whose ancestor is in it.

So, I get to my husband's line and said to myself maybe I should look over that pink book ? Yes, you guessed it. His ancestor is in it.

This kind of coincidence, while common in genealogy work, still seems to keep reminding me that we are guided to the right record at the right time. (Yes, I have read Hank Jones books)

Well, back to work.

1 comment:

CarmenMJ said...

How many lines are you related to husband? I only found one line 9 generations ago for my parents...sounds like you both have New England ancestry...so that could definitely get interesting.