Thursday, August 25, 2011

Cotton Plot

Cotton Plot by midgefrazel
Cotton Plot, a photo by midgefrazel on Flickr.
Wonderful things can happen when you ask for help from other people who love genealogy!

I discovered that Jeremiah Cotton and his wife Salome Sylvester were buried in Oak Grove Cemetery in Bath, Maine. Because this lineage is important to my husband's Mayflower application, I asked Earl Williams if he could confirm that there was a gravestone for these people. Earl is a volunteer for Find-a-Grave. Sometimes, people just record a cemetery transcription from historical or genealogical books. I was not sure they were there because there was no photo.

Yesterday, I received a BIG surprise. Not only did he confirm the names and dates, he got a map of the cemetery and the plot card! I will show you those in upcoming blog posts.

As you can see by this first image, the section in the middle of the monument is badly weather damaged. The headstone around the monument are classic of the time period.

No comments: