Monday, October 24, 2011

Tombstone Tuesday; Rice in a Row

Buried in North Village Cemetery in Lancaster, MA, this photo was taken by fellow gravestone enthusiast Carol Purinton.

Recently, Carol found my blog and we met (without planning it) at my first meeting of MSOG (Massachusetts Society of Genealogists) last month.

From reading my blog, she learned my husband was a Rice and so when she saw these four granite monuments, she thought she'd better take a snapshot.

As hubs is an "ancient" Rice and these are "newer" Rice, this gave me an opportunity to sit with the Rice genealogy books and look up the clearly readable stone here for Walter C. Rice. The Rice genealogy by Ward has the classic New England numbering system so after finding Walter, I have a start at identifying this family grouping surrounded by falling leaves.

Walter8 (Ira7, Moses6, Deac. Seth5, Deac. Seth4, Edmund3, Samuel2, Deac. Edmund1)

Walter C. Rice's dates of birth and death are correct on this stone. Carol is working on trying to read the other stones and even returned to the cemetery to stand in front of them and read them but it was not much help. Update! She is doing a fine job working on these Rice folks. I will post more about this soon.

Walter C. Rice #5452 p. 308 (by Ward)

No comments: