Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Ruth ONTHANK

Ruth ONTHANK by midgefrazel
Ruth ONTHANK, a photo by midgefrazel on Flickr.

Ruth ONTHANK
Ruth ONTHANK, first wife of Ebenezer Hyde,Sr. is buried in Dodge Cemetery in Sutton, Worcester, MA. I discovered as I researched her, that she was the daughter of William ONTHANK and his wife Elizabeth JAMES. She was the sister of William ONTHANK who is buried at Old Southborough Burial Ground. I took a photo of his gravestone before I knew that my husband was an ONTHANK/UNTHANK descendant! I posted that blog post on July 1st.

Ruth was born on July 1st in 1765 in Southborough.
ONTHANK: Ruth, d. William and Elisabeth, July 1, 1765. Town Page Detail: Southborough [Mass VR to 1850 Southborough, MA NEHGS]

She married Ebenezer HYDE, Sr. about 1784 (no marriage record found as yet) and had three children, Ebenezer (my hubs ancestor in 1785), Ruth (1786) and William (1789). She died in Sutton, MA at the young age of 28 years on 8 Sept 1793. Ebenezer married again, as was the custom, in 1794.

HYDE: Ruth, w. Ebenezer, Sept. 8, 1793, in her 28th year. [a. 29, G.S.] Death: Sutton, MA [Mass VR to 1850 NEHGS] 


This slate gravestone is hard to read. I used the one posted at Find-a-Grave to help read it as accurately as I can.


Erected/ to the memory/ of Mrs. Ruth Hyde/ who died Sept. 8, 1793/in ye 28th year/of her age.


Photo by William Dunbar. Used with permission.

No comments: