Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Oral Family History [Thomas Broadfoot]

Oral Family History [Thomas Broadfoot] by midgefrazel
Oral Family History [Thomas Broadfoot], a photo by midgefrazel on Flickr.

Finding out information from Family 
 
In the early 1970s, I decided to ask my paternal aunts and uncles for the basic family history information. I made my own form on lined pads. This is a scan of my grandfather Thomas.

Of course, he was dead in 1937, so my dad's oldest sister filled it out for me and they passed it around and tried to fill in the death date. I remember them talking.

I should point out this was Thanksgiving night. My aunt was a great cook and so everyone was in a good mood. I found out a lot that day. Not just what is written on the paper. I learned that the oldest child may know the most. I don't have siblings so I am the know-it-all in my world.

So, now I had my grandfather's date and place of birth. I knew the gravestone had the year of death. That waited until Memorial Day.

I was surprised that no one knew if they were married in Scotland or elsewhere. It wasn't for years that my cousin found the marriage certificate in my aunt's papers. I still don't know how they met.

Let's pretend that we are looking for the birth record of Thomas in Dalbeattie, Scotland at Scotland's People together.

You must pay for records. You must pay for searching. But, you can ride on my dime as we go along. I'm glad to have the company. 


Put on your sweater, please. It's chilly in Scotland.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Midge, That is pretty good for a beginning way back when. Yes, Scotland's People is good but pricy for just the searching part. I don't mind paying for professional research or for copies but paying to hopefully "Find" is another thing altogether. Yep, I've got my Scottish wool sweater (virtually on) handy. Nice post!