Monday, April 09, 2012

Walter Broadfoot

Walter Broadfoot by midgefrazel
Walter Broadfoot, a photo by midgefrazel on Flickr.
Tombstone Tuesday: Walter BROADFOOT

I have been looking for family members of my surname Broadfoot since corresponding with my California cousins. Due to the kindness of a Find a Grave volunteer named Glenn in New York, I have located Walter's gravestone
. He's my first cousin, twice removed. Tip of the hat to Glenn who took this photo and has given me permission to use it. The other photo of the grave at a distance shows a sea of flat stones.


These flat stones are going to be very hard to find in the future if you don't know the cemetery well.


Most of Walter's family, his parents and siblings, are buried at River Bend Cemetery in Westerly, RI. His name, at birth was Walter McGeorge Broadfoot. His parents were "Uncle Tom" and his wife Annie FERGUSON who came early to America and were the couple that everyone "was going to see" when they had to indicate where they were going when they disembarked the passenger ships.

I was hoping to find out his wife's maiden name. Walter was unmarried, in my mind, until I found his WWII draft card. He lived in Westerly through the 1920 census and is listed (possibly) as a guest in a house living in Detroit, Michigan at age 36.  His draft card for 1942 lists his wife. 


I have learned that the small numbers at the top of this gravestone is the location of the grave in this cemetery. It is in Calverton National Cemetery in Suffolk, NY.


If he and Gizella had children, I possibly will find out when I look for him in the 1940 census.

No comments: