Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Sisters

Elizabeth and Sarah STEWART Edgcomb by midgefrazel
Elizabeth and Sarah STEWART Edgcomb, a photo by midgefrazel on Flickr.

Sisters
Elizabeth STEWART and her widowed sister Sarah L. STEWART, wife of Nathan EDGCOMB are buried together in the Stewart Hill Cemetery. I have both obits and I am transcribing them. In front of this monument are their headstones side-by-side with just faint initials on the top. Their obits give a lot of information about them.

This photo is the one I took in 2004 because I had no idea who they were at the time and I needed the dates.


When Brian Zoldak visited this cemetery this year, he took a photo of this stone. I wanted you to see how the stone has changed even though his shot is of better resolution than mine.


Sarah's husband Nathan is listed in the cemetery transcription for the Edgcomb cemetery in North Stonington with his parents. Brian can't find it on any map so I think I may ask Gladys Chase to tell me if it is in the woods. As this is the STEWART family cemetery, I think she decided to bury him with his parents. This is a New England custom and is more common that I thought. That's very inconvenient (!) for us gravestone photographers, isn't it?

No comments: