Friday, June 08, 2012

Summer in the Cemetery

Hydrangeas in Bloom by midgefrazel
Hydrangeas in Bloom, a photo by midgefrazel on Flickr.

Summer in the Cemetery

This lovely hydrangea in full bloom in the garden cemetery in Mystic, CT is a reminder to all of us who love the graveyard that summer and early fall are our best time to get out there and take photos.

My summer will be a bit different this year as I don't have a vacation trip planned. I am going to the Stanton reunion in July and the Rice reunion in September but that is all.

I have been thinking that I don't know as much about the cemeteries that I have been frequenting for the last several years so maybe it is time to work on where they are, what is their history, and who do I have buried there.

Find a Grave has really taken off in the last few years. Some people are posting photos and not being careful what cemetery they are adding them to. I found one with there different names!

I worked hard in the beginning to locate cemeteries.  Someone who shares my ancestral line posted one or two of my photos to Find a Grave and put his name on it. Should I complain or just say, "Well, thanks for doing my work for me?"

So, this summer, I want to make sure I have the right information. I'll be posting it here but not every day. I need a vacation, too.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Midge, Yes, I have had distant relatives with whom I have shared photographs, post them online to a major site without telling me first. Oh well. I just left it as is so as not to offend newly found cousins. People are well-intentioned most of the time, but don't think about citing sources or asking the donor's opinion or permission. Your photo of the Hydrangea is lovely!