Saturday, November 03, 2012

Spring Hill Cemetery Overview



Spring Hill Cemetery Overview

I took several photos of the cemetery as an overview. The top one shows how hilly this ancient burying ground and how great the foliage looks at the perimeter. The bottom photo shows the oldest section (where many people of the RICE and WILLIAMS surname are located. Notice the table stone (it looks like a regular gravestone with legs).

Because I research any graveyard I visit BEFORE I get in the car, you will remember that I blogged about the Marlborough Cemetery transcriptions ebook a couple weeks back. This is the first page of the book as written by Franklin P. Rice in 1908. I quickly looked up Hudson's History of Marlborough as referenced here:
As you read, here, the gravestone of Captain Hutchinson is the oldest in the cemetery and is dated 1675. As this is quite early even for a New England gravestone, I decided to see if I could find it. Another valuable piece of information is the mention of early records being "missing".

No comments: