Sunday, January 20, 2013

City Directories for the Business


Since I didn't get very far with finding all references and ads in the Westerly and Providence directories, I decided my problem might be complicated by the sheer number of directories that cover that area. So I spent an hour making this chart in Microsoft Word.

So many years have overlap and I see why. Whoever scanned them didn't put them in the right full scan. I found that for the year 1900, I had to search all three sections to get the whole of the information.

As you can see #6, #2 and #1 all contain entries for 1900. I think this will help me pinpoint certain places on the timeline where the business did:

  • change the name from Westerly (Steam) Laundry to Victor Laundry to Victor Cleansing Co.   
  • give the address of the business and the address of the house where the family lived.

2 comments:

Celia Lewis said...

my goodness - how confusing about all those incomplete overlapping scans! Now you're much more likely to find what you're looking for! All the best.

Midge Frazel said...

I don't know why they did that! Maybe because they cover different towns, the person who scanned it thought it needed to be separated.