Tuesday, April 16, 2013

New England Graveyards

Great Plain Cemetery, North Stonington, CT, photo by Midge Frazel

New England Graveyards
As I prepare to take a journey backwards in time to pick photographs for two upcoming presentations, I thought it might be useful to review some of them for readers who may new to my blog.

Take a look at this example of the layout of a typical New England graveyard with gravestones that are not organized in rows. It is hard to tell from the size and composition of the stones what period of time this graveyard represents! The weather and poor upkeep had make it look even older than it might be. Stones are overturned and broken. The foliage is overgrown.

One set of my fourth great grandparents rest here. It is amazing that I found them in only a few minutes. 

No comments: