Thursday, May 16, 2013

Looking Out

Oval Window by midgefrazel
Oval Window, a photo by midgefrazel on Flickr.

New England Style

Before I begin a project, I like to have a period of thinking about how ideas and occupations here in New England have influenced modern life. Since it is a partly cloudy morning here, Hubs and I went up to the mailbox and got "yesterday's mail" and walked around out condo complex. I see things we haven't really noticed even though we have lived here nearly three years. 

This is a type of window at the top of the townhouse condos which we don't have in our house. It is like the windows in houses in areas near the ocean where the women looked out to see the ships that came in and sailed out in coastal areas. Many gravestones in this area have "buried at sea" or "died at sea" on them and I haven't blogged about them as yet.

I have quite a few gravestones from my adventures in the area where my ancestors lived in the Stonington and Groton areas of eastern Connecticut near the shoreline. In this area is the Mystic Seaport where many ships were built. It is a great place to visit and of course, I went with my grandparents and parents so many years ago. 

I have some photos that I took and I am going to have to find them before I can begin this summer project. 

4 comments:

Heather Wilkinson Rojo said...

My cousin just restored an 1804 house in Massachusetts, built by Sea Captain Israel Forster. I found him in our family tree, so she is thrilled. Anyways, they saved and restored the entire widows walk and it looks great. It reminds me of that little oval window you photographed. I can imagine Mrs. Forster up on the widow's walk, waiting for her husband's ship to sail into the harbor.

Jana Iverson Last said...

Midge,

I want you to know that your blog post is listed in today's Fab Finds post at http://janasgenealogyandfamilyhistory.blogspot.com/2013/05/follow-friday-fab-finds-for-may-17-2013.html

Have a great weekend!

The Dead Relative Collector said...

Very interesting... I have a lot of family from the Stonington - North Stonington area... Do you have any connection to the - Edwards, Main(e), Avery, Hall, families, among others?

Midge Frazel said...

Yes, I am an Avery. My Halls are in RI. Stewarts in North Stonington. Great to meet you.