Thursday, August 22, 2013

Hall family Relationship Chart

Relationship Charts can help you think more clearly about complicated or distant ancestors. A long time ago, I researched my Hall family back from the mother of James Albert Barber, Phebe Eliza Hall. I was lucky, there are some vital records, graveyard records and known women's maiden surnames that helped me out. 

But, I wondered about the larger overall picture of the Hall family of Portsmouth and Westerly, RI in relationship to Phebe's descendents. It had taken a lot of work to find out more about Sarah Babcock who married James Hall to be able to get the middle generations in between Henry Hall, Jr, son of Hennery Hall, Sr., the immigrant ancestor that they had in common.

This will need a lot of work as yet, but at least I have some idea if Capt. Palmer Hall may have known that Phebe Eliza Hall, about 10 years younger than himself, was a member of his extended Hall family.

In the 1880 census for Westerly, RI, Capt. Palmer Hall has James Frederick Barber, living as a "servant". 

2 comments:

Colleen G. Brown Pasquale said...

I have done charts like that & they are very helpful

Anonymous said...

Hi Midge, I think that the term "servant" was likely a catch-all label. Maybe your ancestor worked as a part-time personal assistant, or simply the Hall's were helping a distant relative have a place to live in exchange for light duties on their estate. I hope you find out more about the situation. Your posts about the Sea Captains are interesting.