Wednesday, October 23, 2013

House on Parmenter Road

Ancestor's Home by midgefrazel
Photo by Midge Frazel, 15 Oct 2013
Ancestor's Home, a photo by midgefrazel on Flickr.

Amos Parmenter & wife Mercy Wood

Diane and I thought it might be fun to take a ride down Parmenter Road (in Framingham) and while we were driving slowly on this very windy road, she reminded me that there was mention of a house on this road in the Parmenter genealogy.

I was reaching for my notebook when we saw this house. Because it had a plaque on it I was pretty sure that this is the one mentioned. Steve pulled into the driveway but stayed at the end while I grabbed my camera and Diane and I got out of the car. I framed the house with the stone wall and snapped this shot. It was such a New England looking scene. It is what we all dream of when we think of how our ancestors lived.

Honestly, I expected to see Amos or his wife Mercy any minute. It was one of those odd psychic moments. I stood still for a few seconds. Since this couple was one of hubs 5th great grandparents, it was highly unlikely, but New England descendants feel very close to the land where their people lived. 

Not seeing a house number, I took a photo of the mailbox which reads, 15 Parmenter Road. (I won't show that here even though it did not have any present owner's name on it.). 

Using my telephoto zoom on my camera, I was sure I got a clear enough photo of the plaque. Upon arriving home, I used software to get close enough view to read the plaque. It was placed on this house by the Framingham Historical Society. Circa 1713 does seem to fit since many men built a house just before they married. Amos and Mercy married on 21 Dec 1715.

Photo by Midge Frazel, 15 Oct 2013
Amos Parmenter (Parmenter genealogy #86, pps. 20-21) Information given was by a descendant but doesn't list a death date for Amos. I will continue to search for more information. Their son Joshua is hubs descendant. 



No comments: