Sunday, November 17, 2013

Pilgrim Push

WorkshopQuest: Thanksgiving by midgefrazel

My adventure with my Mayflower descendants began long before I researched my ancestors. This is a rare photo of me taken at the SouthCoast Technology Center where I worked for more than 10 years developing and teaching workshops for teachers in educational technology. In 1999, I bought a digital camera and I went to Plymouth a few days and took photos of the waterfront and started learning about Mayflower times.

All of the photos I used for my later graduate course are posted here.  Many of them I have used in blog posts so I won't be using them again. I hope you enjoy looking at them.

This was a fun project. One teacher specialized in Native Americans and provided information about resources she used in her classroom. Although I have taken down my Web site, the box of materials is still in my basement. Much is still relevant so I will keep it in case my grandsons need a school project. 

My boss did not think this workshop was a good idea. He thought no teachers would come. He was wrong. Every seat was taken. Teachers discussed curriculum and how hard it was to find materials that actually depicted the pilgrims and the native american peoples correctly. I still smile when I go by a display of "puritan" clothes on Pilgrims. 

No comments: