Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Tombstone Tuesday: Dalbeattie War Memorial

Dalbeattie War Memorial by midgefrazel
Photo by Helen O'Donogue of Dalbeattie, Scotland, used with permisssion
Dalbeattie War Memorial in Colliston Park,  Dalbeattie, Scotland

Photo by Helen O'Donogue of Dalbeattie, Scotland, used with permisssion
Much to my surprise, I was contacted in January, 2014 by a teacher in the hometown of my ancestors asking if I would share information about my cousin, Josiah Ferguson BROADFOOT, who was killed in World War I in France. He is buried in France and has a memorial stone in Westerly, RI where his parents lived after coming to America.

I am surprised because I had absolutely no idea that this monument existed! I think Josiah's grandparents were proud Scots and the family may have still felt strong ties to Dalbeattie.

The teacher who kindly shared these photos also told me that there is a Josiah F. Broadfoot listed on a plaque in the local school. She sent me a link to a photo of the school and the plaque there. His name is clearly listed.

From my research, I thought that Josiah's life was spent completely in Rhode Island. I do know that his mother's parents (Josiah FERGUSON and Jane SAWYERS) lived in Scotland and one of her records is her passport application which cryptically states she is returning to Scotland to visit her aged parents.

It is possible that Josiah attended high school in Scotland. He is listed as student in the 1900 census in Westerly, RI at age 11. If he went to Scotland to school he did so between that year and 1907 at the age of 18 because he is listed as living with his parents at 138 High St. in the 1908 Westerly City Directory. This leaves the years between 1901 and 1907 unaccounted for.

Ferguson is a common name, It is possible that there was another Josiah F. Broadfoot who lived in Dalbeattie at the same time. This I don't know. One thing about family history is that it is always filled with surprises!

No comments: