Sunday, April 13, 2014

Sentimental Sunday: Rosedale Apartments

Photo from the collection of Midge Frazel, 1962
Sentimental Sunday: Rosedale Apartments

In the early months of 1958, my widowed grandmother sold her beautiful home at 205 Wentworth Ave. in Edgewood near Roger Williams Park in Cranston, RI and moved to the Rosedale Apartments. This is the only photo I have of the whole complex and it doesn't fit in the photo. She eventually moved to two other apartments in the building before she turned 80 and moved in with my parents. 

Rosedale still exists as Rosedale Landing and has been historically preserved to the Art Deco style you see in this building. [Video]

In 1958, she was 65 years old which is a year younger than I am now. It must have been winter when she moved because I remember the first holiday there was Easter. I was 10 years old and they bought me a small record player that played vinyl 45 RPM records. 

My mother was very sad to have her mother leave the big house because I think she would have liked to move back and live there. 

This weekend, the superintendent of the apartment complex's granddaughter found me on Facebook. I am stunned. I don't even use my first name that she would have called me. I walked over to the photograph box and easily pulled a photo of her with her brother taken when they came to visit us at the beach at Bonnett Shores. I must have taken this photo because it is a bit out of focus. The rest of the story can wait for another day. But, what an Easter memory!

Photo from the collection of Midge Frazel

No comments: