Tuesday, July 01, 2014

Tombstone Tuesday: Joshua Barber Ground

Tombstone Tuesday: Joshua Barber Ground

Case Study: Cemetery Moved

Photo by John Linton (from his Flickr collection), used with his permission
172 East Ave. Westerly, RI
Imagine my surprise when I searched for a photo of Joshua Barber's farmland in Westerly, RI and this wonderful photo appeared in the results! (Photo by John Linton of Westerly, RI)

Only a few people were buried here but both of the adults were my ancestors. Notice that that Rev. Frederic Denison states that they are "unlettered". This means that those stones might be the headstones that I have found at River Bend Cemetery and are now lettered. I don't know.



Both of these wives are now to be found in the Barber family plot. Eliza Barber's full name was Phebe Eliza HALL [gravestone with husband] and Hannah Barber's full name was Hannah MERRIT. [main gravestone] Hannah was the mother of Matthew Stillman BARBER.

Maybe this photo shows what might have once been the farm land of Matthew Stillman BARBER (1815-1888) who was my 3rd great grandfather and his relative Joshua inherited it or part of it. 

No comments: