Thursday, December 18, 2014

Everything Has a Beginning

Scottish Do-Over Collage by Midge Frazel, 18 Dec 2014
"Everything Has a Beginning" 

Recently, friend and cousin, Thomas MacEntee announced a Genealogy Do-Over Project for 2015. After admitting that I had already done a partial do-over two years ago, I began to think about what part of my genealogy needs the most work. 

The answer was amazing clear... 

Hubs and I both have ancestors from Scotland and I have spent a considerable amount of time wandering the virtual lowlands and highlands gathering records and at a considerable expense. But, are they organized? Do I understand what I've gathered? Have I written citations? The answer is not really.

So, today, I started working on this project based mini do-over of my Scottish adventures. I have gravestones, records, ancestral photos, and living cousins, but, no one who follows me would be able to understand any of it.  

This collage is to help me with where I am going, piece by piece and step-by-step. I need inspiration. so I pulled out my Scottish Proverbs book for some ideas. Crazy and often funny this book and another will put me in a good mood. 

There is one odd thing about this project. I feel most close to my Scottish ancestors in December. I call this the Auld Lang Syne effect. On New Year's Eve, before I go to bed, I do the "Out with the Old and In with the New" superstition. I open the front door and the back door to let out the old air and begin anew. You can do it too.

Citations: 
Wirth, Colin. Scottish Proverbs. Glasgow: Birlinn Limited, 2000.

3 comments:

Dana Leeds said...

I like the idea of a mini-do over. My current plan is to go surname by surname as I organize everything. But, it's just really hard not to keep doing new research!

Best wishes!

Midge Frazel said...

It might be a long year for all of us.

Jana Iverson Last said...

Midge,

I want to let you know that your blog post is listed in today's Fab Finds post at http://janasgenealogyandfamilyhistory.blogspot.com/2014/12/follow-friday-fab-finds-for-december-19.html

Have a wonderful weekend!