Thursday, February 19, 2015

Day 19: Clan Hannay: Forward Together

Granite Hewer
John Broadfoot's Story
Day 19

Clan Hannay: Forward Together


Sorbie Tower, photo by Janette Hannah, used with permission


While trying to learn more about Merkland Farm and my Smith and Hannah ancestors, I discovered that the surname Hannah has many different spellings. Mine seem to be recorded as Hannah or Hannay.

Robert Hannah (1815-1883) and Jane Smith (1820-1865) were Jane Hannah's parents. Robert's father was also named Robert and he was born about 1785. His wife was Stewart Moat. That's as far back as my research can go at this time.

One Sunday, I discovered a YouTube video about Sorbie Tower whose location is not far from where my Hannah/Smith/and furthest most Broadfoot ancestors lived. (David Broadfoot lived in Sorbie in 1841.)

I learned about the ancient history of the Hannay family with a free excerpt of a book. From there, I discovered a family association called Clan Hannay Society

I joined their Facebook page and made a friend of a lovely lady married to a Hannay clansman. I have joined the Society for one year to learn more about my ancestors. I need to see what the Clan genealogist can do for my research.

Wow! I belong to a Clan. It still takes me by surprise.

2 comments:

Kim Wolterman said...

Now that is really cool! I hope that being a clansman (or clanswoman, as the case might be) pays off for you!

Midge Frazel said...

I think it is cool too! I have no plans to visit Scotland so I am very grateful for the photo.