Tuesday, February 07, 2017

Tombstone Tuesday: Brown, Period.

Photo by Brian Zoldak, 2016, used with permission

Tombstone Tuesday: Brown

For a while, I will be investigating two plots of of gravestones at Elm Grove Cemetery, in Mystic, CT of people with the surname Brown. As I have been looking closely at each headstone and monument, I noticed that the monument maker added a period at the end of the surname as you can see by this cropped photo.

As I am transcribing stones I tend to say them out loud, so this says, "Brown, Period". The punctuation in gravestone work can be significant but this seems odd to me. Maybe they didn't center it correctly?

In my other blog, "The Highly Caffeinated Genealogist", I have discussed why I chose these two plots of gravestones to work on. Rather than repeat that here, where all the posts about the stones will appear, this is the link to that post from last Sunday.

Surnames in this project are Brown, Denison, Avery, Schoonover, Billings, Fellows and Burrows.

No comments: