Saturday, May 26, 2018

Josiah F. Broadfoot: A Flag for Joe

"A Flag for Joe"
Corporal Josiah Ferguson Broadfoot
(1889-1918)
#52ancestors, blog post #22
Flag for Josiah, taken 25 May 2018

There are no known photographs of Josiah F. Broadfoot and no one in my family has the distinguished service cross.
Josiah Ferguson Broadfoot died for his country, in France, during World War I. At the time of his service, he was the oldest son of Thomas Broadfoot (deceased) and his wife Annie Ferguson and lived his whole youth in Westerly, RI. He was 29 years old and single.

I get more questions about Josiah than any other person in my family that died in service to his county. During that service time, Josiah's brothers, John and Walter were also serving, John with the Canadian forces and Walter was in the US Navy.

I have located a Norwich, CT newspaper article that tell me more than any military record I have found so far. He is buried in France and has a memorial cross at River Bend Cemetery in his family plot in Westerly, RI. His father, called "Uncle Tom", by my branch of the family died in 1911, so Uncle Tom's wife must have had someone carve the white granite cross in the family plot. The Westerly Disabled Veteran's Chapter #6 is dedicated in Josiah's memory. 

Called Joe by family and friends, he died of his wounds in a hospital overseas. A bullet penetrated the tank he was driving and lodged in his abdomen. He died in a hospital of this wound. He did not die on the battlefield. 

No comments: