Saturday, October 11, 2008

More Print Genealogies

Readers will notice that Thomas (my techno-expert cousin) gave some new links for searching for print genealogies. Because Thomas knows what he is doing, I couldn't resist trying one out.

I learned to decipher URLs early on, so that clicking on one did not bring me to a Web site that could be surprising. This is an important skill for everyone to learn.

The first link is for the Brigham Young University. [the byu.edu tells us that] The fhc tells me that it must be family history collection, so I clicked on it. Voila! 

Go to this URL now and search for Moses Barber


This main page says in part, "The Family History Archive is a collection of published genealogy and family history books..." so I knew I was in the right place.

Must to my amazement, I immediately started to look for Lois Schroeder Barber's monograph on "Moses Barber of South Kingstown, RI" and got a hit. Each section is in the sidebar to download and so I did. I also found Elizabeth Church's work on the Barbers.

I downloaded these books in PDF format to my desktop and immediately (after checking to make sure they open, after virus scanning them, of course) burned them to a CD.

A long time ago, I took the monograph out of the lending library at NEHGS and having hurt my back, laid on the heating pad and started to read it. I really need the pages for the proofs for DAR and Mayflower lines. This is great! Thanks, Thomas!

2 comments:

Heller Drone said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Thomas MacEntee said...

I just posted a comment, which I deleted, using my pseudonym! Oops!

I would do anything to help by cousin! I am so happy you found what you needed!