Thursday, September 03, 2009

Grandmother's School Photo

I Smile for the Camera Carnival, 16th edition: "School Days"

One of the sweetest photos in my family collection is this one of little girls sitting on the steps of a house. My mother told me that this was the elementary school photo of my grandmother, Hannah Josephine Barber (1893-1992) who married Evans Stewart and her sister, my great aunt, Dorothy Palmer Barber (1895-1981), who married and divorced Harry Bliven.

If you click on this photo, it will take you to my Flickr account where you can see that I have placed a "note" on their faces so you can see who is who.

I don't know if there were two photos taken, one for the boys and one for the girls, or if this was just an "all girls" school or a Sunday School group photo. It must have been in Westerly, Rhode Island where my grandmother, her sister and her older brother lived for most of their youth.

I have tracked all three as far as I can with city directories and census records. My great aunt I knew but my great uncle, Harold (1890-1944) and his wife Martha (1879-1968) , I don't remember but a family member tells me that I did meet her when I was a little girl.

As I hold a Master's Degree in Education and my daughter is a Kindgergarten teacher, "school days" are very important. This fall I am attending the 40th reunion of my college class. Of course, I have not changed much. Guess I should look at my own school photos...

No comments: