Thursday, January 07, 2010

Surname Saturday: Barber

Surname Saturday: Barber [of RI]

These photographs, placed side-by-side on purpose (when I scanned them) are of my great grandparents, James Frederick BARBER and his wife Ellen (Nellie) SCHOFIELD.

My Barber line is shared by many as the immigrant ancestor is supposedly James Barber who came to Newport, RI. There are several compiled genealogies (these say Moses Barber of South Kingstown) about this family and I have been photographing as many Barber gravestones and monuments in my gravestone hopping adventures

James Frederick was called J. Fred because he was the oldest son of James BARBER and Hannah Josephine TOURGEE.

In an odd coincidence, these Barber great grandparents are buried in the same section as my immigrant grandparents (on my paternal side)!

Barber Families of America by Donald S. Barber, 1999
Moses Barber of South Kingstown by Lois Barber Schroeder, 1984

No comments: