Thursday, February 17, 2011

Linda E. HYDE


Linda E. HYDE
Originally uploaded by midgefrazel
Linda Edwards Hyde was one of three daughters of Vergene Ovando HYDE and his wife Fredericka Bremer MERROW and was my husband's paternal grandmother. She was the family archivist and there are many lovely photos of her plus she kept many items that her son, my father-in-law, must have left behind when he went to college.

Linda's middle name, Edwards, remains a mystery. She was born 31 Aug 1881 in Rockland, Knox, ME and died 16 Oct 1949 in Hudson, Middlesex, MA.  She is buried alongside the FRAZEL monument in the row with her husband's parents, Joseph and Naomi FRAZEL, some of their sons and of course, her husband Phares David FRAZEL. His first wife, Mamie (Mary Mae) ULHMAN is also buried there.

But, of great mystery is the headstone, next to Linda marked simply, Frances. While searching a few years ago for the vital records of Massachusetts, I discovered that Phares and Linda had another baby, born before my father-in-law. I can't find a corresponding death record. The birth record says "unnamed female" born 21 Oct 1912. When asked, my father-in-law said, "Yes, I know." and that's all I found out.

Linda was step-mother to Raymond, her husband's son by his first wife Mamie. Raymond joined the Navy at age 17.

Linda can't have lived in Maine very long. She graduated from Marlborough High School in 1899. There are wonderful photos of her with her sisters and classmates. She was a bookkeeper before she married at eh age of 28.

It wasn't until I started researching her life that I discovered that the story of this family must be understood from what I am now calling, "The Three Sisters".

So, the story continues....

No comments: