Saturday, August 13, 2011

Sentimental Sunday: Genealogy is a Rocky Road

Rocky Road Clusters by midgefrazel
Rocky Road Clusters, a photo by midgefrazel on Flickr.
In two weeks, I will be attending the first New England Geneabloggers Bash in Londonderry, New Hampshire at the home of Heather Wilkinson Rojo and her charming husband Vincent.

We were asked to bring food that means something to our family. I was already planning to bake a special cake but when the list of those coming to the events grew longer, Russ Worthington suggested that we might need two desserts. He's planning to eat one all by himself.

I was talking this over with my daughter and because she likes to have company over, she said I should make my mother's Rocky Road Clusters. That when I remembered giving her a recipe box with family recipes from both sides of our family. She told me that she makes them all the time and there are never any leftover when the company leaves.

I looked in my recipe book and I didn't have a copy of the recipe in it. She brought it over and I photocopied it to remind me to buy the ingredients. Looking at the recipe reminded me that, yes, my mother used to make these (and without the walnuts). I was feeling very sentimental.

When I assembled the items seen here in this photo, it dawned on me that the path that we take in our genealogy research is often a Rocky Road. I have had one of those weeks.

Just because you may not be going to the Bash doesn't mean you can't have the food! These are easy to make. I love the use of the microwave to make this a summer (no heat) dessert to cook.

Enjoy!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Midge, Love that tradition! I wish I could still eat yummy treats like those but with Diabetes 1 & 2, I would have to significantly modify the recipe to include sugar-free everything. I don't even know if there are sugar-free marshmallows. I think you have a winner though in your choice.

Debbie Blanton McCoy said...

Those sound wonderful and so easy! Thanks for the recipe.

Heather Wilkinson Rojo said...

Just catching up on my blog reading now. I wish I had read this one while we had our Spanish guest here, because they discovered marshmallows while we were in Yosemite. I was getting tired of smores, and this would have filled the bill. Can't wait to see you at the Bash!