Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Wordless Wednesday: Training Wheels

Training Wheels by midgefrazel
Training Wheels, a photo by midgefrazel on Flickr.

Retirement  
This week I made a big decision about my future. I decided to semi-retire. It feels a lot like I did when my Dad took the training wheels off my bike; a little wobbly and unsure.

I'll still be doing a lot of the same work. I will still be teaching my cemetery class for Family Tree University, I will still be taking gravestone photos and blogging about them, I'll still be keeping up with technology as it applies to genealogy.

I won't be considering speaking engagements. I don't own a projector for my computer and I won't be sitting for hours creating PowerPoint presentations. I will be making video and mini-presentations to be shown on the Web. In short, I will become more of an Internet genealogist.

I think it is time to spend more time relaxing and reading for pleasure. I need to slow down. Maybe I am really going BACK to the training wheels?

I am not making money being a professional genealogist. It wasn't my goal. I wanted to help people find their roots. I will still do that for a year or so and most likely stop my professional status when I turn 65.

For now, at almost 64, I am content to coast on by waving to you as I travel. I liked the training wheels.

2 comments:

Olive Tree Genealogy said...

Good for you Midge!

It's not easy making a big change

When I was 55 I decided to quit teaching and try to make a go of genealogy as a revenue source. It was a very scary move,but I have never regretted it.

Now I can sit and have tea with my husband whenever I want, take a trip, do research far afield and indulge myself in lots of fun projects. Some make money, most do not :-)

Good luck in your semi-retirement, I think you'll love it

Lorine

Anonymous said...

Hi Midge, I know the feeling. I am a few years younger than you and I am now semi-retired. Yes, I miss the classroom but am quite content.