Saturday, May 05, 2012

The Aiken Monument

The Aiken Monument by midgefrazel
The Aiken Monument, a photo by midgefrazel on Flickr.

Losing Contact with a Contact
Sadly, the man who took this great photo of the monument of my Aiken family (that retired to Georgia) passed away in 2011 and I just found out yesterday.

I was surprised when my emails went unanswered. I tried to contact him through his Ancestry.com tree. He was not an Aiken but his wife was a cousin to me. 

He found my tree and we exchanged the usual email addresses and the basic relationship information about my Aiken line and his wife's. I found out from him that my great grandparents, David Aiken and his wife Annie Beveridge Aiken retired to Georgia and when they died, they were buried there in Lithonia City cemetery in Lithonia, DeKalb, Georgia. Although he was still working, he and Annie took a day trip to photograph the headstones for me. Isn't that great?

They had photographs of my Aikens that I had never seen. I didn't know much about this line so I was hungry for information. I am still working on it.

His tree is still up at Ancestry.com. Now, I must stop what I am doing and make sure that I have all the photos and the information that he posted there. I probably did capture it all but I need to check. (I did find a couple photos of his wife's line that I didn't link to mine so I've got them now.)

It certainly makes you stop and think about your public and private trees online, doesn't it? Rest well, Vigil. I've got it from here. 

No comments: