Wednesday, July 25, 2012

All Around

Round by midgefrazel
Round, a photo by midgefrazel on Flickr.

Heating Grate 

I don't imagine too many people notice the ornate heating grates that dot the walkways in the pews areas in The Road Church in Stonington, CT.

The pews are enclosed and I can imagine that because this church is currently in use in chilly New England, it can be mighty cold in the winter. When I visited, it was mighty hot.  Most of the windows were open.

In the upper gallery, where the organist is located, there are gallery benches for overflow of people. Those people are the ones who did not pay to "own" a pew for 99 years.

I made this photo sepia toned because the carpet is a red color and doesn't look that good from the number of feet that trample through this church yearly.

2 comments:

Jo said...

I've never seen a Church with carpet, and I reckon heating in Churches here is a "new thing". They were always freezing when I was a child :-)

Midge Frazel said...

The church I got married in was also old and also had carpeting. I wouldn't remember that except that when my mother-in-law died we had her service there at her request. I commented on the carpet and went home and looked at my wedding photos.

Yup, carpet! My ceremony was 15 minutes. Who remembers? It was 40 years ago. No many are alive that were there that day. Isn't that awful?