Thursday, September 06, 2012

Little George L. Main

George L. Main, 2008, photo by Midge Frazel
Little George L. Main was the son of Lewis Main, Jr. and his wife Cynthia STEWART. ( She was the daughter of George P. Stewart and his wife Mary [Polly] Hewitt. I almost missed this tiny gravestone! After I took the photo, I held the grass back and hand wrote the death date.

George Lewis Main was born 21 Dec 1839 and died 23 Sept 1842. The Main family was quite prominent in the area and there is quite of biographical information in The Ezekiel Main Family compiled genealogy. When little George died, his parents already had a new baby to care for and she became the family historian. She was a single woman schoolteacher named Ellen Winthrop Main.

George L. MAIN, 2012, photo by Brian Zoldak, used with permission

As you can see, part of little George's gravestone was below ground and four years between photographs shows how much a small stone can weather since that time. If I didn't know George's mother's name, I would not know from the gravestone today.

George doesn't appear in the cemetery transcription but I can see why, it is so tiny and easily looks like a footstone.

No comments: