Monday, October 14, 2013

Presenting with an iPad

Presenting with an iPad
2013
In 2012,  Blogger, Lucie Constantino (Lucie's Legacy) used her iPad (2) to do a presentation. I was intrigued.
 Here's her post.

 
I created my presentation in my old version of PowerPoint (2003) on my Windows 7 Desktop computer and used Dropbox on both my desktop computer and my iPad mini (shown here) to move that presentation to my iPad.  On my iPad mini, I have the purchased app called Keynote (which is a presentation application). 

I purchased the VGA to lightning end adapter. (Cost $50). It is also available in the older model for older iPads with the 30 pin end (dropped to $30) Since I wanted to walk around the room, I downloaded the app Keynote Remote for my iPhone. (Cost $.99) This way I could use my remote to move forward and backward through the presentation.
Photo by Midge Frazel, 2013

It is important for you to know that you must have Bluetooth enabled on both devices and there must be wi-fi available in the room to use the Keynote Remote. (I could have just swiped through each slide on my iPad mini if there was no wi-fi available but you must stay tethered to the cables if you don't use the remote. It would be fine if there was a podium you could use and all the cables were long enough.)

The photo below is what a VGA port looks like. (12 pins, female) and the other slot is for the power cord)



Photo by Midge Frazel, 2013
 You must follow the directions to turn on Bluetooth to connect the iPad and the iPhone (with a code). I have done this already since my case is a Bluetooth enabled keyboard. The black cord shown here is the VGA cord to the adapter and the other end is to the wall (to the projector). The projector was mounted in the ceiling. 

Photo by Midge Frazel, 2013
Notice that the VGA cord is considerably heavier and had to be laid carefully on the table so it wouldn't slip off and crash my iPad mini to the floor.
Photo by Midge Frazel, 2013

This is a photo of the end of the VGA cord that connects to the port on the wall (or onto the projector). I brought my portable power strip because I never plug any of my electronics directly into an electrical plug. This photo shows the plug for my iPad mini. It needs to be plugged in while you are presenting. My iPhone was fully charged and when I was done with my testing and my full presentation with questions, it was at 66% battery drain.
The directions for doing this was in the help file of both Keynote and Keynote Remote.

No comments: