Friday, April 10, 2009

Easter Happenings


Easter Bunny
Originally uploaded by midgefrazel
Carnival of Central and Eastern European Genealogy, 18th Edition: "Easter and Passover Traditions"

When I look at this photo of me, it is hard to me to believe that in New England we ever wear anything but winter clothes for Easter and certainly that holds true this year. I decided to take time today to post old Easter photos taken from 2000 to 2007 (Easter 2008 is already posted) so I could think about what Easter traditions have lasted in my family. In short, not very much.

I still put out some Easter decorations and buy some chocolate eggs. I love Peeps and jelly beans but we have given that up this year. {Too fat} As a family we are having breakfast together which is the only real tradition left from my childhood.

My grandmother always bought me a toy (I still have one to write about next year) and she set out jellybeans for me to gather. The family ate ham and that meal tradition is gone as both my husband and I don't like ham! What would the older people think of us today?

It's been a long, snowy winter here in Massachusetts and we are glad to be leaving it behind. But, like so many of us, remembering our loved ones who are gone makes us sad but spring flowers remind us we must move on.

This is our last holiday before we will have a grandchild.

No comments: