Sunday, November 08, 2009

Working with Find a Grave

Although I have been a member of Find a Grave for 6 years and 7 months (they list that for you in your profile), I have not contributed many gravestones as I have been putting my photographs up at Flickr and working with this blog since June 2006. After the kindness of two or three people who have photos posted at Find a Grave, I decided today to really learn how to add my photos, information and relationship links.

I improved my profile, added a link to this blog, and uploaded my profile photo so people can contact me if they have a question or wish to have one of my photo for their collection.

Judging from the number of people who have looked at the gravestone of Capt. Samuel Fish, whose gravestone is in the Old Packer-Burrows Cemetery in Groton/West Mystic, Connecticut, both at Flickr, in my blog and attached it from my tree at Ancestry.com to their tree, I decided that my Fish ancestors are of the most important photographs to start with. Capt. Samuel Fish is the oldest gravestone in my personal collection. It is in quite good shape physically and it is very readable.

I find adding photos and information to Find a Grave quite easy except that I have to shrink down the photos in size to fit their requirements. As I put my photos up at Flickr, I found today that if I download my own photo in a smaller size, to my desktop and then upload it to Find a Grave that works nicely for me.

As I have been accessing the Fish genealogy through Genealogy.com, I decided today to buy a bound copy of it from Higginson Books. I don't know why Ancestery has not merged all their content from Genealogy.com to Ancestry.com but I wish they would.

No comments: