Wednesday, January 06, 2010

Gravestone Positions Part 1

To the right of the Champlin monument and in front of the monument for Jabez Champlin Gardiner, is this group of four gravestones. When I visited the grave of Jabez Champlin Gardiner and his wife Eliza Bicknell, I walked around and photographed this group of gravestones as I did not know why Jabez's middle name is CHAMPLIN.

Jabez's ancestors are still not well defined and I have had to do a lot of work and collaboration with other Gardiner family members to try to find a connection back to George Gardiner of Rhode Island. It is a work in progress.

Imagine my surprise when I discovered through researching my aunt (not a blood relation as she is married to my uncle) that HER Champlin family might be related to my mother's line. My aunt was married to my father's brother.

Position of gravestones in a cemetery can give you a lot of potential clues as to the relationship of families.

No comments: