Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Tombstone Tuesday Barber Section


Barber Plot
Originally uploaded by midgefrazel
For this Tombstone Tuesday, I'd like you, dear, readers, to see part of the Barber section at River Bend Cemetery. This is a photo of the placement of the gravestones for my 2nd great grandfather, James Albert BARBER who was awarded the Medal of Honor for his service in the Civil War. [I have blogged about this before!]

He has a regular monument, a marble Vet's monument, a headstone and a newer granite flat-to-the-ground Vet's monument. This means he has his name or initials on FOUR gravestones! Sadly, his wife Hannah Josephine TOURGEE has NO gravestone. She bore him seven sons, too. Doesn't seem fair. Two sons did not live to adulthood. One is buried here with his father and I can't find where the other is buried.

Her father paid for her to be buried nearby to her husband but in the TOURGEE section.

This Saturday, I will be teaming up with Robert Grandchamp to talk to the RI Genealogical Society about how history and genealogy work together. I hope they enjoy it. I am not using the computer so I made a display board with photos and documents. Wish us luck!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Capt. Charles Dearborn Copp earned his Medal of Honor at the Civil War, Battle of Fredericksburg. It simply arrived one day in the 1880's U.S. mail.

Normally, veterans with good civilian stones do not get a free government stone. But Copp's civilian stone did not mention his Medal of Honor status; thus exceptions are made for Medal of Honor awardees even if they have a good civilian stone. As many cemeteries do for government veteran stones; Copp's was installed for free.

On-the-other hand, I had to pay (about $80) for the optional inscription on the obverse telling where and when Copp earned it. Alas, by mistake I added n "e" at the end of Copp's middle name "Dearborn". His brother was a Union colonel.

As "war clouds gathered", Copp went to a local country store to get a newspaper. There he heard the telegraph clicking out a message. Copp said, "This means War". I donate my research file on him to the local library.

A picture of Capt. Copp and of his MoH stone is at my free Google website: htts://site/gonetobeaconfederatesoldier\ . Capt. Copp was Union.