Monday, June 21, 2010

Before the Gravestones: The Gallup Family

Before the gravestones at the Gallup Burying Ground, I photographed the memorial stone for Capt. John GALLUP, II and his wife Hannah (or Anna) LAKE. She is probably buried at the Whitehall Burying Ground #21, in Mystic, New London, CT but he died in the battle at The Great Swamp Fight in Rhode Island and is buried in a mass grave there.

John GALLUP, I was the first Gallup in America. [Yes, this is the same family of the Gallup poll and Gallup, New Mexico]. I am fortunate to have every gravestone photographed in ONE of my direct Gallup lines.

These gravestones begin with:
John GALLUP, II memorial stone [Memorial Stone Blog Post]
wife Hannah LAKE memorial stone 
Whitehall Burying Ground in Mystic, New London, CT
The Memorial to The Great Swamp Fight [courtesy of Michelle Miller and used with her permission]
Closeup of the memorial plaque for John Gallup [shared with me recently]

To learn more about the Gallup Family, please visit these two Web sites:

The Gallup Family Association
Carmen Johnson's Gallup Family Web site

There have been several editions of the Gallup Genealogy. The current version (2009) is available for purchase by the Gallup Family Association. There is a yearly reunion held in August.

Locating and photographing Gallup graveyards is quite a challenge and I can't thank my cousin Fred Burdick for his devotion to the ancient graveyards of Stonington. He has diligently photographed many of them and has CDs of them for sale by mail. Contact him to purchase them.

Fred has NOT photographed the Gallup Hill Burying Ground. I have done so but the photos I took are not of the wonderful quality of his photography. But, I will be blogging about the experience here.

1 comment:

Miriam Robbins said...

Cousin, I'm a GALLUP descendant, too!