Friday, August 20, 2010

Enclosed Monument


DSC04180
Originally uploaded by midgefrazel
Walking toward the monument of Elder Henry Cobb, in the Lothrop Hill Cemetery in Barnstable, MA, I suddenly remembered that I had not looked at the number of photo requests at this cemetery's listing at Find a Grave. It was such a neatly maintained older cemetery, that I might have been able to accomplish that. Sigh.

This monument is surrounded by four granite corner markers with the rusty iron bars. I already knew that this was going to be hard to photograph. As small as I am, I knew I was not going to be able to "limbo" under to get a clear shot of the plaques that is on the ground. So, what was easy to spot at a distance from the road could prove to be a challenge up close.

Even a cemetery visit with a single minded purpose of locating one monument can be exhilarating and annoying at the same time.

My husband sprinted back to the car to get the photographer's reflecting circle. I walked closer to the monument and started to look at nearby "neighbor" stones. What I discovered right away was so interesting....

No comments: