Sunday, January 30, 2011

Sentimental Sunday: Coffee Jello


Coffee Jello
Originally uploaded by midgefrazel
Yesterday, hubby and I went to the Rhode Island Genealogical Society day-long meeting held in North Kingstown. It took us almost 90 minutes from door to door.

I missed my home state and my parents and grandparents while traveling down Rt. 95. I looked at the exit we always took to visit my parents and have to deal with the heartache for days afterward.

When my daughter was little, we called that the "almost there" location. I said out loud, "Almost there!" for sentimental reasons.

Since everyone is dieting in January, I decided to make a New England favorite, Coffee Jello. Coffee is very big in Rhode Island. If you don't drink coffee, don't go there.

I have two recipes. One given to me by a friend who was a professional cook. This makes coffee jello in a large quantity. It is on the yellowed piece of paper under the packet of gelatin.

I have made a modern, lazy person's version.

Midge's Rhode Island Coffee Jello
2 cups black hot coffee (Dunkin Donuts medium size is perfect)
1 packet Knox unflavored gelatin
1 tsp sugar or Splenda

Sprinkle gelatin in with a small amount of water into a large Pyrex measuring cup. This is called soaking the gelatin. (A small amount of water is about 1/16 of a cup) Let this gelatin/water mix sit for several minutes. Add the hot coffee and stir. Add the sugar or Splenda and stir again.

Microwave 2 minutes 30 seconds. Pour into small dishes and refrigerate until firm.

Variations: you can use flavored coffee like French Vanilla or Hazelnut. Today, I used original blend Dunkin Donuts and a 1/4 tsp cinnamon extract. I have used vanilla, french vanilla, coconut, and peppermint extract and they are great too.

Top with cool whip and eat.

1 comment:

GenSpeak said...

The title of your post caught my eye!I've never heard of anything like that, and I've lived all over!I love how each state has it's own unique recipe's.I printed out your post,so I could make some Coffee Jello!Every morning I go to Starbucks and get two Venti Bold "Red-eyes" (that's for 2 large,strong coffees with 1 shot espresso in each, in case you don't know.I definatly need to be living in Rhode Island!