Wednesday, February 09, 2011

Avery Removable Dots


Avery Removable Dots
Originally uploaded by midgefrazel
Technology can't solve all our problems. Well, I don't really believe that. However, when it comes to compiled genealogies and census printouts, I can't live my life as a genealogist without these removable dots.

When I bought Richard Anson Wheeler's book, The History Of Stonington, for $125 dollars (used), I didn't know how much I was going to need it to figure out my intermarried families in the Stonington and nearby Rhode Island areas. Judge Wheeler produced a book in 1900 that I would have trouble writing myself today, even with the aid of a computer. Of course, having three daughters at his beck and call didn't hurt.

He must have "assigned" (read intimidated) a member of each of the area families to give him their family genealogies. Each chapter of families is of varying quality.

The FISH family STINKS. But, of course, you knew that. Of course, the FISH family has their own genealogy and that's very good.

I mark each line down in each chapter with these colored dots. Some pages at the beginning of the chapters, I am descended from 4 or 5 sons and daughters of the immigrant man listed. It is a nightmare. These dots help.

I just thought you'd like to know about this useful tool. By the way, Judge Wheeler is the husband of Lucy NOYES who was my 2nd cousin 3x removed. I love the relationship calculator in my Ancestry tree.

1 comment:

Heather Wilkinson Rojo said...

This is better than the colored flag shaped post its I have been using. They stick out of the pages, which is good for quick reference, but they are easily lost or knocked out of place. I like the dots idea better.