Thursday, June 16, 2011

North Cemetery Rice Adventure

Rice by midgefrazel
Rice, a photo by midgefrazel on Flickr.
Seriously folks, this was an adventure that all gravestone lovers dream of....

At 8:10 AM, my husband and I were on our way to the North Cemetery in Wayland, MA to locate the memorial stone of his immigrant ancestor, Deacon Edmund Rice. (this photo is not that stone).

Even with morning (school) traffic, we easily found the graveyard, just past the Wayland Country Club. Some time ago, I looked this graveyard up on the Wayland town Web site and printed a "hand drawn map" that someone had made and posted to that site for my file folder.

Yesterday, I used Find-a-Grave and Google Maps to locate the exact spot of the cemetery and explored the Web site of the Edmund Rice (1628) Association. I could tell that the gravestone was quite large and probably was placed in the "old" section.

It pays to plan your visit to the cemetery and to be ready to roll to get the morning light and while it is cool.

No comments: