Thursday, September 01, 2011

Jeremiah and hs Wives


Jeremiah Cotton by midgefrazel
Jeremiah Cotton, a photo by midgefrazel on Flickr.
This is a close up of the section of the weathered panel of the Cotton Monument. [Jeremiah Cotton]

It pays, when the light is right, to try taking a close up shot of each section of a hard to read gravestone.

 This is the middle section for Salome SYLVESTER, first wife of Jeremiah Cotton. She was born 6 Apr 1802 and died 25 Oct 1845 at the age of 43. She and Jeremiah had 8 children together. She was my husband's 3rd great grandmother. Until I had this photo, I had no death date for this person. She was the daughter of Amos Sylvester and Phebe Soule. With this knowledge, my husband and I became cousins through a common ancestor George Soule who was a Mayflower passenger.

After Salome died, Jeremiah remarried. His second wife was Betsey TUCKER. They were married 5 Nov 1848 in Bath and had one child together. She died 20 Feb 1882 at the age of 75.


These gravestones were taken and shared with me by Earle Williams. Please contact me before adding them to your tree.

No comments: