Monday, September 26, 2011

Tombstone Tuesday: Angeline

Angeline Sophia HYDE Jones by midgefrazel
Angeline Sophia HYDE Jones, a photo by midgefrazel on Flickr.
As I continue researching the HYDE family, I am, of course, finding the married names of many of the women. When I got to this name, JONES, I muttered to myself, "Well, it is better than SMITH or BROWN, I guess."

On Monday 26 September 2011, we zipped over to the nearby Maplewood Cemetery to see if the gravestone for Cousin Eleanor's husband had been set in place. It had. She will be happy about that.

I turned around and started back for the car when I realized I was looking at the gravestone of Angeline Sophia HYDE and her husband Charles H. JONES.

This couple was childless so they really could have been buried anywhere in one of the area cemeteries so I was quite glad to see them here with a clearly readable stone.

Angeline Sophia HYDE (Abraham, Ebenezer, Ebenezer, Job, Daniel, Jonathan) was the fourth child and second daughter born to Abraham HYDE and his first wife Eleanor PARMENTER. She was born 11 Aug 1842, according to the Mass Vital Records of Southborough. (note the stone gives the year as 1841). Angeline is listed in the 1850 and 1860 as a child in her father's household. Eleanor, her mother, died shortly after giving birth to Nellie HYDE in 1856. (She is also buried here). Angeline probably had to help take care of baby Nellie as Abraham did not marry again until 1862.

Angeline and Charles were married (source: year from census) in 1872 when she was thirty. Adelaide, Angeline's older sister by two years, died at the age of 14 in 1855 making Angeline the oldest girl in the household, having to clean, cook and take care of younger siblings forever.

But, the story continues on the back side of this stone... Stay tuned.



No comments: